2021 Plein Air Competition Dates and Rules
December 26 2020: First Day of Canvas Stamping
December 26, 2020 through January 16, 2021
- Bring canvases, or your preferred painting surface, to the museum for stamping. We will stamp up to six canvases. Click here for the entry form.
- Create artworks outdoors, anywhere in the state of Utah.
- Submit up to three pieces framed or gallery wrapped and ready to hang (see further instructions below).
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS SATURDAY, JANUARY 16 AT 5:00 PM
January 18: Exhibition opens
March 4: Virtual Awards Ceremony
April 10: Exhibition Closes
April 10 through April 20: Artists pick up entries. Any entries not retrieved after 5:00 PM on Saturday, May 1 will become property of the museum.
Competition is open to artists of all ages, backgrounds, skills, and experience. In addition to cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, additional works might be acquired for the museum’s permanent collection. The Museum Director and Foundation Board will exercise discretion when awarding prize money.
Entry Fee is $35, payable upon canvas stamping by cash or credit card, no checks. Fee includes stamping up to six canvases of which up to three works can be submitted.
Artists are invited to price their works for sale. The museum will retain 20% of all sales of any artwork created for the 2021 Plein Air Competition as a fundraiser. Any payments for art sold will be sent to artists within three weeks of the end of the exhibition or handed to the artist upon pick up of unsold works.
All submissions must be:
- Created outside in the state of Utah, between 12/26/2020 - 1/16/2021
- No more than 40 inches long
- Framed or gallery wrapped
- Ready to hang with strong hanging wire attached with D or O rings (or similar).
- Absolutely no claw hangers are to be used.
2017 Petit Plein Air paintings, after the first few sold
Petit Plein Air
Take part in the Petite Plein Air! Many artists use these as field studies for works in progress. Let us know you’re interested when you come for canvas stamping and we’ll give you 5 x 7 inch canvases. Oftentimes, artists will use these canvases as color studies or rough drafts of their finished pieces. Feel free to ask museum staff for further information. Petite Plein Air submissions will be sold during the exhibition for $50 as a fundraiser for the Utah Plein Air Competition and the Brigham City Museum of Art & History.